August is here and all of you parents know what that means… THE KIDS ARE GOING BACK TO SCHOOL!! To celebrate we recommend sending your children back to school with goodies for their teachers and classmates. Sweeten up your child’s teacher with a pail of teacher treats or welcome back friends with personalized HERSHEY’S chocolate bars. As you gear up this time of year, here are some fun facts you can share with your kids.
- Liquid Paper was created more than 50 years ago by Bette Nesmith Graham, a secretary who used her white paint mix to correct mistakes. She is also the mother of the Monkees star Michael Nesmith.
- One pencil will draw a line 35 miles long.
- Each weekday approximately 480,000 yellow school buses carry 25 million kids to and from school.
- On April 23, 1635 the oldest public school was founded in the United States. Boston’s Latin School had Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock, and Samuel Adams as graduates.
- In ancient Greece teachers received gifts from citizens and were paid higher wages than skilled craftsmen. Their highest paid teachers taught music.
- Approximately $7.2 billion is spent at kid’s clothing stores before going back to school.
- Before the Great Depression, most Americans only completed eight years of school. High School became popular when communities saw the benefits of keeping teenagers in class to avoid the competition in the workforce
- Elmer, the bull on the bottle of Elmer’s Glue, was conceived as a mate for Elsie, Borden’s beloved “Spokescow.” Although officials in Borden’s chemical division wanted to use Elsie to sell glue, company honchos thought it’d be inappropriate to have the dairy cow pushing nonfood items. Elmer the bull was the compromise.