Just starting a family or want to add new traditions this Christmas season? Consider these magical holiday traditions that keep the season bright.
– Go to a candlelight service at your church on Christmas Eve.
– Make delicious breakfast recipes for the family to share on Christmas morning. Cinnamon rolls, Christmas themed pancakes or a breakfast casserole are all great ideas!
– Visit a live nativity on Christmas Eve.
– Make a birthday cake for Jesus. You could even sing “Happy Birthday” and have the kids blow out the candles on Christmas day.
– Have each family member open one gift on Christmas Eve. Pajamas! Everyone can wear them to open gifts the next morning.
– Read a Christmas Book before bed on Christmas Eve like “The Night Before Christmas”.
– Take a drive looking for the best Christmas lights and decorations. Listen and sing along to Christmas music along the way.
– Get your children’s picture taken with Santa.
– Buy a new ornament for each kid every Christmas. They will love having their own set of ornaments when they have their own Christmas tree.
– Bake and decorate Christmas cookies to give or exchange with family and friends.
– Buy an advent calendar to count down the days until Christmas.
– Make Christmas dinner. Choose recipes that have been in your family for years or find recipes that the whole family will enjoy to make each year.
– Go to a Christmas play. Check out your local theaters and churches to find one that the whole family will enjoy.
– Write letters to Santa. Have your children write a note to Santa about what they want for Christmas and help them mail it to the north pole.
– Watch Christmas movies. Consider holiday classics like It’s a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street. Also include fun, new movies like Elf and The Polar Express.
– Donate gently used toys to a local charity. Each year have your children choose five toys to donate to teach them about giving.